Follow these tips for maximum networking benefits through Twitter.
1. Branch out: Don’t settle for tweeting with only those in your address book. Search for people with similar interests and people in your industry or city.
2. Don’t just offer your content: By joining the greater conversation, you’ll make more meaningful relationships.
3. Be engaged: Tweet often so you don’t get forgotten.
4. Search for the right people: Conduct a Twitter search for conversations you’d be able to help with or that advertise jobs.
5. Follow who your friends follow: Check out who you’re friends are following and sending @ messages to. They’ll get the connection and probably have something in common with you, too.
6. Follow people back: You don’t have to follow every single person who follows you back, but make a point to follow a good percentage of them.
7. Link to others: Tweet other people’s blog posts and links to spread the love and catch the attention of industry leaders.
8. Promote yourself: Post links to your work and don’t be afraid to promote yourself in a responsible, non-annoying way.
9. Share using @: Include your most wanted Twitterers in a conversation by using @ and then their name. They’ll notice you, too.
10. Tweetup: Suggest a Twitter happy hour or picnic to meet your local Twitter friends and extend your networking opportunities.